Monday, April 18, 2011

Fresh start

My laptop was dead almost since last year. It took 10 minutes just to open a folder. Few months back, I resurrected it  with a new OS after taking  a backup of my laptop hard drive.


We  used our home computers (We have two servers on network) majorly for work related and personal stuff. I  had saved tonnes of files/photos, my code, hobby related stuff, favourite website links for last seven years.  I had written lot of blog post and saved it in our home PC.  I wrote majority of the blog post  in 2009 /2010. I have edited and published some of those blog post since January 2011.


Two weeks backs before the world cup cricket finals , I wrote a blog post for which I tried to link a website. When I logged into that blog/website our office computer got infected within a second. My husband has not updated/renewed the antivirus on our office PC for quiet sometime which I came to know after this incident.


It was not allowing me get to any of the hard disk  folders, so I was planning to take the backup files through DOS. I anticipated a couple of hours of work  and had planned to do the update next day . CB checked the infected computer when he worked late that night and immediately sprung into action. He just went ahead and installed the new OS by completely formatting the hard drive. He knew that I stored all my files in that PC, but never bothered to even think even for second before zapping the hard drive.


When I realised this the next day , I broke down and cried. Lot of my friends/family photos were there . Though I back up all the photos from laptop to an external drive periodically , I never bothered to back up my files from our office PC.  When I asked why he did that, he gave me his usual look (a sorry face after doing stupid things)and I gave my usual head shake. Some  days I only wish I am an angrier person  and yell back at people when they misbehave or hurt me.  I only vent with my younger sister which doesn't help my case with CB. She is his unpaid lawyer. CB met my younger sister for the first time when she was in eighth grade. And they share a very special bond. She now officially represents the father son duo on  pro-bono basis.


So here I am , Planning to write fresh post as and when time permits (I get very little time on computer on week days). A fresh start forced by turn of events . 


PS: After writing this post, I used the spell check . I got  "No writing error found" msg. Looks like a good sign to me. 


I don't remember seeing this for any of my posts. Mostly  I publish the post before editing or proof reading it. Even when I save it for future editing, I usually forget about the proof reading part before publishing the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment